Seattle Met Magazine Top 100 Washington Wines (10/01/2014)
- 2010 Mackey Right Bank #8 Bordeaux Blends
2014 Seattle Wine Awards (5/20/2014)
- 2010 Mackey Syrah Gold
- 2010 Mackey Cabernet Sauvignon Silver
- 2010 Mackey Right BankSilver
2013 Seattle Wine Awards (5/22/2013)
Los Angeles International Wine and Spirits Competition (6/17/2012)
- 2009 Mackey Merlot Gold (94 points)
- 2009 Mackey Concordia Bronze
- 2010 Mackey Riesling Bronze
2012 Seattle Wine Awards (5/21/2012)
- 2009 Mackey Merlot Double Gold
- 2009 Mackey Cabernet Sauvignon Gold
- 2009 Mackey Syrah Gold
- 2009 RAC (Bordeaux Blend) Silver
Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar (11/2012)
2009 Mackey Vineyards Merlot Columbia Valley 93 points
2009 Mackey Vineyards RAC Bordeaux Blend Columbia Valley 93 points
2009 Mackey Vineyards Syrah Walla Walla Valley 92 points
2009 Mackey Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Red Mountain 92 points
2009 Mackey Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley 90+ points
2011 Mackey Vineyards Riesling Columbia Valley 89 points
2009 Mackey Vineyards Concordia Columbia Valley 90 points
- (77% syrah, 13% grenache and 10% mourvedre): Good dark, bright red. Tight aromas of red berries, licorice and black pepper. Broad, smooth and palate-saturating, if in a rather polite style, with clean, well-delineated flavors of pomegranate and spices. Finishes broad, clean and fruity, with nicely ripe tannins. Rasa Vineyards' Billo Naravane consults here. Like the Rasa reds, this is aged in 25% to 30% new French oak. November 2011.
2010 Mackey Vineyards Riesling Off Dry Columbia Valley 91 points
- (30 r/l r.s. and 9.7 acidity, with 24% botrytis-infected berries, according to consulting winemaker Billo Naravane): Pale yellow. Expressive aromas of peach and apricot, with hints of exotic fruits. A sweet, bright, tactile fruit bomb on the palate, with strong acidity and a saline quality giving energy and grip to the lingering finish. The numbers here are very close to the PB Wines Riesling offered under the Rasa umbrella, but this wine is a bit more expressive today and tropical in character. November 2011.
Rober Parker's The Wine Advocate - by Jay Miller
2009 Mackey Concordia 92 Points
- The purple-colored 2009 Concordia is a blend of 77% Syrah, 14% Grenache, and 9% Mourvedre aged for 18 months in 35% new French oak. An alluring perfume of underbrush, brier, smoked meat, game, truffle, and blueberry informs the nose of an elegant, racy blend with loads of flavor and potential complexity. It is likely to evolve for 3-4 years and drink well through 2024 if not longer.
2010 Mackey Riesling 90 Points
- The 2010 Riesling was made with a small amount of botrytised fruit in a Trocken style. Citrus, mineral, and floral notes lead to a dry crisp, lengthy wine that is likely to evolve for several years and drink well for a decade.
2009 Mackey Concordia Columbia Valley 91 Points (Web Only - 2011) 2008 Mackey Syrah Walla Walla Valley 90 Points (August 31, 2011 issue)
TheRhoneReport- by Jeb Dunnuck
2009 Mackey Concordia (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) $38
- A straight up fantastic blend of 77% Syrah, 12% Granache, and 10% Mourvedre that sees 18 months in 30% new French oak, the 2009 Mackey Concordia shows its Granache component on the nose with upfront, spice-driven aromas of red and black fruits, flowers, spiced meats, and white pepper. Medium to full bodied on the palate, with beautiful purity of fruit and solid acidity, the wine is fleshy and textured through the middle but quickly firms up with fine grained, grippy tannin on the finish. More than a little impressive, this has the balance and structure to drink well for 12-15 years. (93 pts.)
2008 Mackey Syrah (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) $32
- Aromatic and elegant, the 2008 Mackey Syrah, 100% Syrah aged for 18 months in 40% new French oak, and 60% in 3-year-old French oak, yields northern Rhone like aromas of smoked bacon, pepper, and subtle gamey notes that are rounded out by edgy blackberry and cranberry like fruit characteristics. This is followed by a medium to full bodied wine that's beautifully textured, possesses good acidity, and an excellent finish. As with the Concordia, this is seriously impressive and should age gracefully for 10-12 or more years. (92 pts.)
Wine Enthusiast- by Paul Gregutt
Mackey Vineyards 2009 Concordia Rhone-style Red Blend (Columbia Valley (WA))
- Dense, deep, dark, and loaded with black fruits, this keeps adding layers - black coffee, smoke, earth, some rock, some charcoal. It is vivid but not overbearing; the alcohol (14.9%) does not show in the mouth. Supple and still showing some streaks of herb and bark. Delicious. - P.G. (9/1/2011) - 92
Mackey Vineyards 2008 Syrah (Walla Walla Valley)
- Winemaker Billo Naravane (Rasa) has a handle on Syrah. This brings unusual sweet/tart candy fruit flavors wrapped into a juicy, tart, tightly wound wine that flows gracefully across the palate. Though aged for 18 months in 40% new French oak, the barrel flavors are well in the background. It's a clean, sappy wine, with a soft, gentle fade. - P.G. (7/1/2011) - 91
Mackey Vineyards 2010 Off Dry Riesling (Columbia Valley (WA))
- Off dry it is, with flavors of Meyer lemon and black tea and plenty of acid. It is a fine value for the price, with density, concentration, purity of fruit and grip. Fruit runs through citrus into light tropical; the sugar falls out in the very finish but is balanced nicely against the acids. - P.G. (9/1/2011) - 90 Best Buy
Review of Washington Wines - by Rand Sealey
2009 Mackey Vineyards Merlot, Columbia Valley ($36) - July 2012
- This is a gorgeous, elegantly styled Merlot, composed of 58.4% Dionysus Vineyard and 41.6% Dubrul Vineyard. Deep brilliant ruby colored, it emits seductive aromas of raspberry, black cherry, plum, juniper berries, crushed roses, tobacco, orange peel and oriental incense. The medium-full bodied palate delivers loads of dark fruit flavors, imbued with dark chocolate, licorice, French roast and earthy minerals. The richly textured back reveals notes of dried orange peel, roasted nutmeats, persistent minerality and creme brulee, all gliding effortlessly into a lingering silky vanilla oak (70% new French) and satiny tannin finish. Approachable now, but will go another 5-10 years. 19/20 points.
2009 Mackey Vineyards "Concordia" Red, Columbia Valley ($38) - July 2011
- Composed of 77% Syrah, 13% Granache and 10% Mourvedre, this is a tasty Rhone-style wine. It displays a deep ruby color and engaging aromas of raspberry, cranberry, mulberry, rose petals and lavender. The young fruit flavors resonate with vivid red/blue fruits that are intermixed with licorice, cocoa powder and basaltic minerals. On the back, the juicy fruits merge with touches of toffee and creme brulee on the way to an invigorating fruit acid and sweetish tannin finish. 18.5+/20 points.
2008 Mackey Vineyards, Estate Syrah, Walla Walla Valley ($32) - July 2011
- Philip and Roger Mackey make their wines with Rasa (Billo Naravane is their consultant). Deep ruby colored, this wine emits aromas of wild blackberries, cherries, cassis, tobacco, olives and garrigue, with scents of dried roses. The deep flavors brim with red and dark fruits that are mixed with silty earth, dark chocolate and licorice. On the back, the robust flavors combine with roasted berries and blueberry juice, and lead into a ripe chewy tannin finish. 18.5/20 points.
2008 Mackey Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley ($32)
- We visited Philip and Roger Mackey's tasting room the day it opened on October 2, 2010. Blended with 15% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot, this exhibits a deep ruby color and a classic raspberry, cassis and plum nose with scents of rose petals and a hint of mint. The ripe, up front flavors are thick and seductive, with an interweaving of licorice, mocha, graphite and stony minerals. The back shows fine fruit acid balance, with tones of orange peel and vanilla bean, and a deft dose of oak (70% new French) followed by a lingering sweet-dry fine-grained tannin finish. 18.5/20 points.
2010 Mackey Vineyards "off-dry" Riesling, Columbia Valley ($15)
- Sourced from the Bacchus and Kilian vineyards, this wine offers an enticing nose of pear, peach, tangerine, wet stone, jasmine and wildflowers. The white fruit flavors are ripe and racy, marked by tones of minerals, grape extracts and lemon rind. The vigorous fruit acids (9.7% total acid) and off dry (2.9% residual sugar) make for a deliciously dynamic Riesling. 18+/20 points.
Washington Wine Report - by Sean Sullivan
Mackey Vineyards Syrah Estate Walla Walla Valley 2008 * (Excellent)
- Dark in color. An appealing wine with char, blackberry, light game notes, mineral, and black tea leaves. The palate is soft and lighter bodies in style with black olive and umami notes and chalky tannins. 100% Syrah. Mackey Vineyards. Aged 18 months in French oak (40% new). 13.9% alcohol. 125 cases produced.
Mackey Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley 2008 * (Excellent)
- Aromas of cherry, herbal notes, pencil shavings, and dry chocolate. Dry and light bodied on the palate with elegant cherry flavors, soft tannins, and a chalky feel. Aged in French oak (70% new). 80.4% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14.7% Merlot, 4.9% Petit Verdot. Mackey Vineyards, Heather Hill, and Gamache vineyards. Aged 21 months in French oak (70% new). 14.5% alcohol. 148 cases produced.
Mackey Vineyards Concordia Red Wine Columbia Valley 2009 * (Excellent)
- Like running through a field of wild flowers and berries eating a bar of dark chocolate. A perfumed palate that is deft on its feet with a silky structure, full of berry flavors, game, and mineral notes. Lingers on the finish. 77.7% Syrah, 12.9% Grenache, and 9.7% Mourvedre. Les Collines, Bacchus, and Minick vineyards. Aged 18 months in French oak (35% new). 14.9% alcohol. 370 cases produced.
Mackey Vineyards Off-Dry Riesling Columbia Valley 2010 * (Excellent)
- An aromatic wine with red apples, tropical fruit, honey, and floral notes. Off-dry in style with a fair amount of sugar but well balanced by mouthwatering acidity. A very well-priced bottle of wine for this level of quality. 100% Riesling. Bacchus and Kilian vineyards. Fermented and aged in stainless steel. 12.1% alcohol. 167 cases produced.
- 2011 Best Newcomer (Honorable Mention)
2011 Seattle Wine Awards
- 2008 Mackey Cabernet Sauvignon Gold
- 2010 Mackey Riesling Gold
- 2009 Mackey Concordia Silver
2012 SavorNW Wine Awards
- 2008 Mackey Syrah Silver
- 2009 Mackey Concordia Silver
- 2010 Mackey Riesling Silver